A student shall be eligible for admission into the semester 1 of the LL.B. (3 year) Degree Course in Law if he/she has graduated in any discipline of knowledge from a University established by an Act of Parliament or by State Legislature or an equivalent national Institute recognized as a deemed University or a foreign University recognized as equivalent to the status of an Indian University by an authority competent to declare equivalent provided that:
1. Such student must have obtained minimum 45% marks in the aggregate in the qualifying 3 year bachelor degree examinations; persons belonging to scheduled caste, scheduled tribe or other backward classes shall be eligible to apply if they secure at least 40 % marks in the said qualifying examination.
2. The age of the applicant shall not be above 30 years in case of candidates belonging to general category and shall not be above 35 years in case of applicants belonging to scheduled caste, scheduled tribe or other backward category as on 1st July of the same academic year in which he/she may be seeking admission.
Each registered student (with the North Bengal University) shall have to complete minimum 20 weeks internship during the 5 year course under the following institutions/organizations –
- 1. NGO
- 2. Trial and Appellate Advocates
- 3. Judiciary
- 4. Legal Regulatory authority
- 5. Legislatures and Parliament
- 6. Market Institutions
- 7. Law Firms
- 8. Companies
- 9. Local Self-Governments
- 10. Other Legal Functionaries
- 11. Any other body approved approved by the College.
It is provided that internship cannot be for a continuous period of more than four weeks and all students shall at least go through once in the entire academic period with trial and appellate advocates.
Also, each student shall keep internship diary and the same shall be evaluated in the 6th semester by the guide in Internship and also a core faculty member.
LLB COURSE DURATION IN IILS :
The duration of the course shall be of three years comprising of 6 (six) semesters.
No student shall be allowed to take the end semester written examination if the student concerned has not attended minimum 70 % of the classes held in the subject concerned as also moot court exercises, practical training etc. taken together.
LLB CURRICULUM IN IILS :
The subjects and papers for the course shall be prescribed by the North Bengal University from time to time in accordance with the rules of the Bar Council of India.
ATTENDANCE, CREDIT AND GRADE SYSTEM :
The Bachelor degree course in law is a three year course comprising of thirty papers in six semesters based on credit and grade system.
CREDIT SYSTEM : The credit is determined by the Bar Council of India, rule of Legal Education 2008, Part IV, Schedule III, Rule 18, which states “There shall be for each paper (with 04 credit) Four class hours for one hour duration each and one hour of tutorial/moot Court / project work per week”.
The Bar Council rules Part IV Chapter II Rule 10 requires that the course leading to integrated double degree in law shall be conducted in semester system in not less than fifteen weeks and with no less thirty class hours per week including tutorial, moot Court exercises and seminars provided there shall be at least twenty four lecture hour per week. The credit of subject so taught shall be one credit equal eighteen class hours.
GRADE SYSTEM: Evaluation is based in a seven point grade scale which is as follows:
|1.||70% and above||A+|
|2.||60% and above||A|
|3.||55% and above||B+|
|4.||50% and above||B|
|5.||45% and above||C|
|6.||40% and above||D|
|7.||Less than 40% in the aggregate and/or in each paper||F|
ATTENDANCE: The Bar Council ruled Part IV Chapter II Rule 12 requires that the course leading to integrated double degree in law shall require that each student shall have not less than 70% attendance in order to be eligible to appear for end semester examination.
- Address Details : Dagapur, Siliguri
- Post Office. : Salbari
- Police.Station : Matigara
- District : Darjeeling, State : West Bengal, India
- Pin Code Address : 734002
- Telephone No. : +91-353-2574013 / 2574697
- Fax No. : +91-353-2574698
- For General Information : firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Administration : email@example.com
- For Admission Enquiry : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post Box No: Siliguri Head Post Office, Post Box No. 66