Hon’ble Justice Arindam Sinha, Judge, Calcutta High Court was present in Indian Institute of Legal Studies on 1st August 2015 to deliver a special lecture on “Professional Ethics & Career in Law” for our newly admitted 1st Semester students of Session 2015-16 to enlighten, inspire and encourage them to become responsible legal professionals in future.
The first words of wisdom shared by Hon’ble Justice Sinha was that “all law graduates should practice atleast for sometime”.
Few interesting points mentioned by Hon’ble Justice Sinha were;
1. Advance Education training- understanding the professional calling as early as possible.
2. Marshalling of facts- Knowing the sequence of facts, getting the facts straight.
3. Ethics means to have the perception of what is right or wrong. It is the essence of conduct of service, morality, being fair towards the society and clients. It is the ability to listen to the call for what to do or not to do!
4. The interesting thing about humans is that the sense of justice and protest is inborn in every one of us that is why it is known as Natural Justice. Therefore, no one can actually teach us about our ethics in true sense. Don’t have the fear of the consequence of doing wrong but rather do what is right from the very beginning.
5. A lawyer who omits to do what he must do or a lawyer who bypasses the other lawyer. Don’t become either of the two lawyers.
Basically, the professional ethics for advocates are provided in the Advocates Act 1961. This Act acts as a check and balance.
Last few words of advice from Hon’ble Justice Sinha- “work will come to you if you excel in ethics, have discipline in conduct, know your subjects and learn your brief.”
The Session was concluded with the handing over of the souvenir to Hon’ble justice Sinha by Mr. Sanjay Bhattacharjee, Principal (Officiating), IILS.
- Address Details : Dagapur, Siliguri
- Post Office. : Salbari
- Police.Station : Matigara
- District : Darjeeling, State : West Bengal, India
- Pin Code Address : 734002
- Telephone No. : +91-353-2574013 / 2574697
- Fax No. : +91-353-2574698
- For General Information : email@example.com
- For Administration : firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Admission Enquiry : email@example.com
- Post Box No: Siliguri Head Post Office, Post Box No. 66